A Really Long Explanation of my Non-Existent, but Actually Existent,Resolutions

It’s that time again! A new year will be upon us in a few days and everyone is already talking about resolutions and the things they’ll do differently this year.

I know for a fact that any resolution I make, I’ll break. So this post isn’t about resolutions. It is, however, about goals. I’m putting aside my sarcasm and cynicism today to try to be hopeful. Honestly, in person, I’m super annoying with how positive I am (Madi can attest to my annoying positivity- not from in person though, grrr), but my inner monologue has always been snarky, so it pops through in my writing. (This is where you’ll want to skip down to the paragraph in bold, if you don’t give a damn about hearing my story, but want to know where this is going.)

Speaking of writing, that leads me to number one. I’ve been writing stories since I could spell. When I was a wee child, I made up stories constantly. When I learned to write, they became longer and more involved. When computers came out and I no longer had to pass hand-written pages back and forth to my best friends for their reviews, my writing got ridiculous.

I would lock myself in my bedroom, put on some Lifehouse (yeeeeeeep) and type ridiculous stories of high school/college love that almost always made no sense, once I reread them years later down the road. I love (and hate) stumbling upon those old stories, printed in folders or folded into pockets of old books to be hidden, in my childhood bedroom.

For a while there, my writing stopped. I had to focus on writing papers for college, and even though I took a few creative writing classes where I got good marks and compliments from classmates, I wasn’t inspired. Occasionally, when sitting at work, I would start writing a story in my email and end up playing with it for a few weeks, only to forget it and leave it buried in the midst of junk mail and messages from my Nana.

For the past year or so, I’ve been maddeningly obsessed with reading. Don’t get me wrong, I’m reading trash. But I like trash. I like books about dramatic college relationships, or mystery novels where the heroine is always being saved by a dark, gangerous, gorgeous man. I like to live in a dream world. Especially right now, when my world is good, but a bit stagnant. This need to read has also reignited my lust for writing (despite how much of my writing is actually about lust... hah) and I want to carry it on.

I’m going to start a weekly (could end up being bi-weekly, depending on how tough I find it) post where I pick a song that I like and write it in short story form. I would appreciate suggestions on songs, if you have any ideas. I’m not afraid to get a little slutty, so have fun with your suggestions. Wink, wink.

So far, I’m looking at writing the songsNight Train, Make You Miss Me, Something in the Water, Like a Cowboy- obviously I listen to a lot of country music, so please feel free to let me know of any songs you think would make for good stories. I love suggestions and since my listening range is pretty limited these days, I might not hit all of the good ones.

And letting music lead me into my next note…

For Christmas, Jason bought me a ticket to go to the Tortuga Music Festival in Ft. Lauderdale in April. That means two days on the beach, drinking and listening to my favorite bands and I’m SO EFFING EXCITED. It will be the first time that I’ve ever gone to a multi-day concert and I’m going with one of my best friends and her older sister. I’m so stoked it’s ridiculous.

What I’m not stoked about, is being on a beach for two days when I’m at the heaviest weight of my life. So starting today (which is 12/29/14, and yes, not on January 1st), I’m making some changes. I’m not going dramatic, because I know that it won’t work if I do, but I’m going to (mostly) stop drinking, eat healthier, and try to squeeze in some exercise. I have to try really hard to exercise, because I leave my house at 6:45 in the morning and I don’t get home until 7 at night. I end up with only a few hours a day to have personal time.

(This stuff is actually delicious. Lime&salt popcorn. Hardly greasy at all. Good for excessive snackers, such as myself.)
So a forewarning goes out to you that you might be seeing some What I Ate or healthy recipe posts, because I am determined to start writing in this blasted thing again, and that’s what will be going on in my life. Hopefully there will also be some updates about the home buying process on there, but I’m going to keep that part to myself until something is official.

So there you go. That’s what’s going on in my brain and God bless you if you made it through all of that water trash. But if you’re stoked for 2015, then I’m stoked for 2015, because I’m not happy unless you are. So be happy, damnit.

Now excuse me while I go gnaw off my own arm out of hanger.



1 comments :

  1. i hate not eating everything and anything i feel like.
    my thoughts are with you during this "eating healthy" thing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as wine, so lay one on me, hot stuff.