Girls, Girls, Girls.



I was quietly and politely browsing through my Facebook feed, keeping my negative girl-talk to myself and throwing out the occasional like here and there, when I stumbled across a photo post entitled "Bahamas 2013." It was posted by a girl that I went to high school with, so out of curiosity I started clicking through. Amid my crazy jealous of her insane, Barbie-like body and face, I realized something: I really, really miss living with my girlfriends.

 

For the first three years of college, I lived with my bestfriend of 13 years, Rachel, and two other roommates that changed each year. During our senior year, Rachel and I moved out together so that we could practice being adults (and get away from all of the really, really dumb men at school). The following year, the third leg of our tri-pod, Alyssa, moved in with us.



When the three of us lived together, we lived in a brand new, 1600sqft high-rise condo with a huge, open, white, cottage kitchen that had black granite counter tops, and a master suite that would have made the Ritz-Carelton jealous. (I was the "Can't we all just get along?" one of the group, so needless to say, I never got to enjoy that master suite. I took the smallest room, paid the smallest rent, and had the smallest problems. No regrets.)



I miss the condo, of course, but that's not what was truly great about our living situation. Some of the things I miss the most were the simplest things, like:

Never ending supply of wine and ice cream.
Stealing a tampon whenever I needed.
Raiding Rachels closet.
Sex and the City marathons that would last a full weekend.
The cheese, cheesecake, and macaroni and cheese that would accompany them.
Champagne Thursdays.
Not having to explain why I'm eating a salad for dinner.
There was always room on the shelf for another movie.
And another book that I could borrow anytime I wanted.
No-questions-asked margaritas.
"You've had how many glasses of wine? Well I've only had three, so I can drive to 7-11."
"I'm going to the gym so I can watch the Kardashians."

And last, but not least: Seeing my best friends everyday. I only get to see them about once a month now because they live an hour away from me and one of them works nights and weekends. It's not enough. And when I try to devote more time to getting to see them, I feel so guilty for leaving Jason at home since NONE of his friends live nearby. I know he's fine, and he doesn't mind being by himself, but I just feel so darn guilty.

I'm in need of a serious girls date soon.




post signature






1 comments :

  1. it only gets worse from here, jess. when people start having babies, schedules start getting jam packed! which is why it's so important to plan ahead. my girlfriends and i only see each other about once a month - sometimes not even that - but we plan ahead and meet up for dinner. other times we just head on over to each other's houses to talk for a bit. we never miss birthdays and i love our annual Kris Kringle that's been going on since the early 90s (omfg i'm so old) and it's nothing but food, laughs, presents and awesomeness.

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as wine, so lay one on me, hot stuff.