Garden Love

Memorial day weekend is coming up, and I don't think there really is anyone out there who isn't excited about the three day weekend. Especially here in Florida, Memorial Day is a time you get together with your family, to honor those who have given their lives for your own, and (let's be honest) cook out and hang out at the beach.

My parents rented a place out on Siesta Key next week, and they've invited everyone over on Sunday for a BBQ. We're celebrating a day early because some in the family still have to work the following Monday, but also because it's nice to have a rest day before you go back to work.

I was thinking, though. If Jason and I were in our own place already, what would I do this weekend? Well, it's supposed to be high 80's, sunny, with no rain and a little cloud cover. Sounds like a perfect day to start our garden!

We've been dreaming of a garden for the past year, while we debated moving somewhere with outdoor space. Now we can't wait to have a little spot to plant some of the yummy fruits and veggies we love.

If I had a garden, some of the things I would plant...

(All images are from Google Image search and are not mine.)


I would HAVE to have tomatoes. For one thing, they grow so well down here that why wouldn't you, and for another, I'm slowly falling in love with them. Tomatoes and I have had a tumultuous relationship over the years, but we're finally finding love together.

Of course I would have to grow various herbs like basil, oregano, and parsley. I have to be able to make a tomato sauce from all of my tomatoes!

Cucumbers are a toss up, but my mom is growing some right now and they grow like weeds, so I thought, why not? I'll need SOMETHING to boost my confidence, haha.

Strawberries are one of my absolute favorite foods in the world and you can do so many amazing things with them. They grow well here in Florida, but they're not easy.

My grandparents threw a pineapple top in a corner of their backyard once to see what would happen, and they got a pineapple out of it, so I'm willing to give it a try. Haha.

What would you plant in your garden? Would you plant seasonally? Would you plant native, local plants or challenge yourself to try something that doesn't thrive where you're at?



post signature

3 comments :

  1. I love to garden and my current veggie garden is a little small right now. Tomatoes, strawberries, herbs, yellow squash, zucchini, and lettuce. It makes me happy and it's almost like FREE FOOD.

    -Jackie
    http://ournashvillelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't explain how jealous I am!!!! Siesta Key is so amazing! I went there for my bachelorette party and just loved the whole area. Have fun! I also love the idea of a functional garden, but every time I try to grow anything it ends in disaster. Hope you have more success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I live in a third floor apartment, I have a little garden on my patio! I have strawberries, cilantro, bell peppers, tomatoes, rosemary, basil, and oregano. It makes me so happy to go out and take care of it every day!!

    www. taylormcunningham.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as wine, so lay one on me, hot stuff.