Sunday Stories

Happy Sunday! Hope you're all enjoying a nice, relaxing day with your families and friends.

Last week, I mentioned that I was going to start writing short stories based on songs that I like. I'm calling them Sunday Stories, and this will be my first go. I think the idea is there, but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Either way, I started out with Jason Aldean's Night Train. I hope you like it!

Again, please feel free to suggest songs that you would like to hear, or critique my writing.
I'll try not to cry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



The sound of Jasons truck came rumbling down the street and I smiled to myself, excited to spend some time with him. I quickly pulled on my boots and threw my hair up into a pony tail. Shoving some cash and my ID in my pocket, along with my cell phone, I ran out the door to meet him.
“Hey baby,” he greeted me with a smile from ear to ear. I grinned back and kissed him hard, the culmination of not seeing him for a week coming through in my lips.
“I’ve been thinkin’ ‘bout you all day,” he mumbled between kisses, his hands pulling me by the waist across the bench seat to him. “I couldn’t wait for work to be over.”
“Where are we going?” I asked, breathless from his kisses. I noted the bottle of Southern Comfort and the blanket on the floorboard. Somewhere outside, I guess, I thought to myself.
“I’m taking you somewhere special. Somewhere I haven’t taken anyone, but I like to go.” He put the truck in reverse and we started on our way.
The sun had gone down over an hour before and night was settling in nicely, the stars peeking out to say hello. It was a little chilly and I was glad I’d worn jeans and boots, but my tank top wasn’t doing much to keep me warm. A small shiver ran through me as the chilly air filtered in through the window, and Jason must have noticed. He extended his arm out and around my shoulders in an attempt to warm me up a bit. “It’s supposed to be a little cold tonight, so I brought a blanket. I guess I’ll just have to keep you warm,” he winked at me.
God forgive me, I tried to stay calm but my body betrayed me. Butterflies engulfed my stomach and a warm rush ran over me, causing me to blush. He just squeezed me tighter.
We pulled off of Old Mill Road onto a dirt path that headed back into the woods. I scooted closer to the window, watching the pine trees pass by as we ambled along the bumpy path. Suddenly, he came to a stop and put the truck in park.
“We’re here!” He smiled. He jumped out of the truck and ran to my door, opening it for me and helping me down. He reached in and grabbed the blanket and bottle and we started our way up a small hill.
I heard a train whistle in the distance and he started into a jog, reaching back to grab me by the hand. “Come on, I can hear it comin’,” he said excitedly.
We reached the top of the hill and he quickly spread out the blanket and took a swig from the bottle, handing the sweet brown liquid to me. I took a sip and closed it, handing it back to him as the warmth of the first sip of the night rushed through my veins. The train was closer now, I could hear it rushing the tracks. He moved behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing the curve of my neck. “Watch,” was all he said.
I put my hands on his and snuggled into him as the noise grew louder and louder. We were only about thirty feet from the tracks, and the ground started to rumble beneath us as the machine approached. “I hope it goes slow tonight,” he said to me, gripping me tighter.
I didn’t get what he was so excited about until the train was right in front of us, it’s sheer power mesmerizing. The tracks and ground shook, and the sound of the engine drowned out the world around us. I felt Jason pull me to the blanket and I sat next to him, leaning back on my hands and looking up at the stars, the sound of the train filling my head. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath of the country air. It felt amazing. I completely get why he likes to come out here.
I opened my eyes and looked over at him. His eyes were closed and he was smiling, like he could feel the train coursing through his blood. He suddenly opened his eyes and caught me staring. He reached for me and pulled me to him, laying back on the blanket and kissing me. I melted in his arms as the world around us faded away. The train continued rumbling by, old box cars with graffiti spinning past, but I didn’t hear anything but my own heartbeat in my ears.
His strong hand gripped my hip and pulled me up against him, kissing me deeper. I got lost in his touch, but when his lips parted from mine, the world came rushing back. The stars burning bright above us and the train rushed by. I took a deep breath and took everything in. I’d never felt happier. His arms tightened around me and he kissed my temple. I could see the end of the train approaching and my heart grew sad. I didn’t want this to end. “I hope another comes by. Do you know if one will?” I asked excitedly.
His grin widened and he said, “I knew you’d like it.” We watched the train leave, held together like we were stuck with glue, and the world fell almost silent as all that was left was the faint sound of the tracks in the distance and the cicadas chirping loudly from their posts around us. “I love you,” he whispered, kissing my neck.
And suddenly, the world fell away again and it was just me and him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now go have a cocktail and enjoy your Sunday!

post signature

3 comments :

  1. Dang girl, I like it! The song actually started playing in my head as I read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wrote a couple of different versions and ended up going with this one. Glad you liked it! Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! Looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as wine, so lay one on me, hot stuff.