Dream Home

I started writing this post last week, and it was intended to be posted then. Clearly that didn’t happen. Last week was a bit of a catch-all…in the sense that if crap was rolling down hill, I was catching it. 

My coworker is in the midst of changing everything in her life. She’s ripped every brick and board out of her house, is redecorating with all new furniture- hell, she even got herself an all new man. Needless to say, I’m a little bit jealous. Of the home redecorating that is, not the man redecorating.
 
Anyways, it got me thinking about what my dream house would be. Well, my dream house within reason. I didn’t choose some 18 bedroom castle over in Scotland or anything. I did definitely choose a home that I probably will never be able to afford, though.
 
Without further ado…. My dream home!
 
I would love to have either a big country house on lots of land, or a beautiful Craftsman (with a big country porch, of course!) somewhere near downtown Sarasota.
I like a clean, transitional home. I like my base fabrics to be neutral so that I can change accents on a whim to give it whatever style I feel at the time. I also think that creams have such a luxurious feel to them.
 
I’ve always dreamed of having a living room with two couches that faced each other, a big cocktail table in the center (where I can have crudités and cocktails served for my guests, of course), and a fireplace. I mean, I’ll be practical, though, and say that of course there would be a TV hung above the fireplace. But if I could really have my way, I would have a disappearing TV somewhere.
I love open homes that still have the room slightly divided in some minimal way, whether it be like the columns below, a change in ceiling height, or a step down or up.
 
Most people these days don’t care too much about having a formal dining space, but I have a great place in my heart for dining rooms. Every special occasion in my life, growing up, was celebrated with a dinner in our dining room. Our dining room meant birthdays, holidays, straight A’s, or just a, “Hey. Let’s do something special,” moment. I want my kids to get that same feeling. I want their birthday or congrats dinners to not just be the same sitting-in-front-of-the-TV-with-a-movie dinners. I want them to be beautifully decorated tables, with food specially picked for the occasion. I might even consider allowing them a small glass of champagne, if they’re in high school.
But you can’t deny the usefulness of a dinette. For those times when you want to be able to see the TV, but not necessarily let everyone be sitting on the couch, watching it.
This kitchen is about 99% my dream kitchen. I’ve always wanted dark floors and countertops, with white cabinetry and some glass doors, where I can show off my pretty dishes. Not to mention a great big island for cooking, baking, and entertaining. It even has the white subway tile backsplash that I want, and a mini butlers pantry in the doorway. Genius. The only thing that I would change about this kitchen below is the hardware, and the gap beneath the cabinets on one side of the kitchen. I don’t want a gap where food and animals can crawl, and I’d have to go with a lighter metal, or maybe even something kind of funky and colorful. I just don’t like dark hardware in my kitchens.
For the master bedroom, I don’t need anything TOO crazy. I want it to be calming and luxurious feeling, and I’d like it to be large enough to have a king bed and a small sitting space.

The two bedrooms below, style wise and size wise, would be perfection.
I’d like a four bedroom home, enough for the possibility of 2 kids and an office/guest bedroom. As of now, Jason and I have both talked about only wanting 1 child. But the majority of people that I know who have had a kid have said that once you have one, you tend to want another. So I’m just being realistic. And at the very least, we would just end up with a nice guest bedroom where I don’t have to share my office.

Speaking of my office, here is my dream:
As you can tell, I have some conflicting ideas when it comes to decorating my office. Some of them are very light and girly, while others are a little darker and sexier, but still feminine. More grown up. I think that’s actually the way I’m leaning. But I also feel like I wouldn’t get very much done in those offices.
 
I’d also like for there to be a pull out couch or click-clack in the room, so that if we have overnight guests and no spare bedroom, there is another space. Plus, who doesn’t want a couch in their office? Come on!

post signature
Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments :

  1. Oooo I really like that first house you posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love dark floors and white cabinets too! trying to convince my husband that we need to redo our kitchen (we have dark floors and dark cabinets) and that our style has now changed and by "our", i mean mine and THIS NEEDS TO GET DONE. but he still likes it so i think i'm going to start researching and present him with the options and by present, i mean call in a contractor HAHA!

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have just really started to think about house hunting come January...which means I've been obsessively looking at houses! I would LOVE a huge wraparound porch like the first picture you posted. And that kitchen?? Makes me swoon...a big kitchen with a ton of counter space is the one thing I really need.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as wine, so lay one on me, hot stuff.