A Bit of a Heart to Heart

I’ve spent a lot of time talking about my weight and the changes that I want, and need, to make. I see that many of you out in this little online world we have struggle with the same things.
 Last Friday, Madi and I were talking about how we knew we could do these things that we want to do, but we just let ourselves, and each other, down every time. We vowed to be Jillian Michaels-style friends and make sure we’re holding the other accountable. It’s only been a few days, but so far, so good.
My blog has never particularly had a direction; I guess that makes it a “Lifestyle” blog. I won’t be turning it into a health blog or anything, but I want to share my journey and my struggles with you guys. Someone else out there might be reading and feeling the same thing. Or feeling down and needing to share in the positivity and motivation that I somehow find that day. Also, I’d love to be able to write about these changes actually occurring, instead of just giving up, again.
 Last Friday I told you about my primary goals for this. They’re pretty simple, nothing ground-breaking: eat healthy and well, work out regularly, and drink lots of water. We all know that there are no short cuts that last, and no magic power that can make you instantly healthy and happy.
 I’ve always had a problem finding the motivation to get healthier. I’m 5’2” and, at my weight, am considered obese. And though I do look heavy, I have a curvy frame and tend to wear my weight well, as I’m pretty proportionate. Because of this, I’ve never really had too much of a problem with my body, save for when I would need to be in a bathing suit in front of people.
 However, since leaving college and getting engaged/married, I’ve gained 10lbs and have somehow settled into a weight that is higher than I’ve ever been. It also happens to be about 70lbs higher than where I would like to be/a healthy weight for my height. I have to appreciate the fact that I love myself, but I don’t want to love myself as I’m laying in a hospital bed after having a heart attack or as I’m finding out that I have diabetes.
I know that as I get older it will be harder and harder to lose the weight, so while I’m still in my mid-20’s, it needs to happen. I don’t just want it to happen, it needs to happen, for the sake of myself, my husband, and my future family.
 A part of writing this post is so that I can come back and read this, and remind myself of these feelings and my reasons for doing it. But also because I want any of you out there who feel the same to know that if you need someone to talk to, or need someone to motivate you, you can come to me.
On Monday, Hallie posted about her new initiative: The Healthy Happy Me Campagin.
I've signed up with her to post progress on my changes with Instagram, and hashtagging it #LOhealthyhappyme. If you’re interested in being a part of this support system, just go to her blog post (above) and leave a comment with your instagram name, letting her know that you’re planning on being a part.
It's always easier to do something when you have others cheering you on. Won't you be my cheerleaders?

post signature








*All images were found on Pinterest.

2 comments :

  1. YES to all of this. when i first started my journey, i did a daily and then weekly update just to keep myself accountable. the support i got was overwhelming and people were messaging me to say how much i inspired them and how happy they were for me so that just pushed me farther to keep going.

    you can do this!!

    -kathy | Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower and just wanted to say that you CAN do this. In January 2012, I found myself at 270 pounds and only 5'3. I have been able to lose over 115 pounds by making better decisions. I work out regularly and log my calories on MyFitnessPal. I never thought I could do it, but I did, and now I know that anyone can! Let me know if you ever need any tips or encouragement. Believe you can do it and you can.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as wine, so lay one on me, hot stuff.