Am I a Bad Wife?

I've been struggling for topics lately, as I've been trying to write every day and since we don't have a whole lot going on right now, the topics run dry pretty quick. So it got me thinking about my every day. What do I do? I wake up, lounge in bed checking my emails and social media for a bit, pack a lunch, rush getting ready, and go to work. Where I sit for 8.5 hours either working or slacking off, but most of the time both, until the clock hits 5pm. At which point I hop in my car and head home.



Lately, the one constant that follows this is that my husband is home. Back before he became the sole authority at his work, I usually had 2 nights, and about 7 hours on Sunday all to myself. 

I'm one of those people that desperately needs alone time (and no, not so I can fart of pick my nose, but I'm not saying those things don't happen). Those times when Jason would be working were such a benefit to me. As of the last month or so, though, Jason has been home pretty much every night. This has made it difficult for me to write posts, paint my nails, catch up on Nashville, and Pinterest my little heart out. I feel guilty when I'm online if he's home. In some ways, I feel like I need to attend to him, because I know he works so much harder during the day than I do. Sometimes, I just pray that he'll fall asleep after I feed him and give me some peace and quiet.



Am I the only one out there that needs a break like this? I'm sorry, I love him to bits and pieces, but I really function better when I have time to myself. Am I a bad wife for wanting my husband to be away more?

My best friends mom once told me that people often ask her how she and her husband are still so happy together after 30 years. She told me that her answer was simple: he travels for work. They get time away from each other and that allows for them to miss each other. I know that this is a simple concept, one that many people practice, but when I leave Jason at home and go see my girlfriends, I feel so guilty.



I know that he would like to be out having fun, too, but his life doesn't currently permit for it. I just feel like it's unfair for him that he doesn't get any fun free time, and I have a chance every weekend. But then I think to myself, he could have fun time if he wanted it. He chooses not to.

So basically the point of this post is that I feel like a bad wife for wanting to get the hell away from my husband but then I feel like a good wife because I feel guilty when I am away from him.

But both of those are wrong.

Someone please fix my feels.

On one last note, why is this not right now?




post signature

4 comments :

  1. Don't feel like a bad wife! Everyone needs time to themselves. I love when my fiance is on the road with hockey and I get time to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as someone who has been living with my partner since 2002 and married since 2004, the key to a successful marriage is BALANCE. taking time out for yourself WHEN YOU NEED TO is important; just as important as taking time out for him and if you decide, for your children. don't feel guilty that you spend some time online (or out with friends/on your own etc) while he's around. you guys plan to be married forever so don't feel bad that you want a couple of hours to yourself if he's home.

    -kathy | Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not a bad wife. You choose how to spend your time and just like you pointed out, he chooses how he can spend his time. Also, there needs to be that balance where you get to watch what you want to watch and paint your nails and he can deal with the smell and smile at your pretty self. :) Just like sometimes you watch endless hours of their tv wishing upon wishes you could do whatever else you wanted to. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize how much I appreciated my alone time until my BF quit his job... There are times that I almost dread going home because I want to not have the TV on so I can blog or just do whatever I want without having to deal with someone else.

    That said, I don't think we're horrible people.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as wine, so lay one on me, hot stuff.